ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

RE: [gnso-rap-dt] revised WHOIS note

  • To: "Roland Perry" <roland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rap-dt] revised WHOIS note
  • From: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 09:00:27 -0700

Roland and Group:

---------------
(Yes, some domains will be paid by stolen CC, but shouldn't they be
cancelled as soon as that is discovered?)

JB:  Any service that is purchased fraudulently is canceled upon
detection.
---------------
I appreciate that as a registrar (I used to be one too), or Proxy
operator, any extra work will be resisted....

JB:  It is not a question of effort.  Our investment of significant
monies, personnel, and tools in order to operate a 24 x 7 department to
investigate and remedy abuse issues should sufficiently make this case.
And because  we recognize that complacency only aids the bad guys, these
individuals and teams continuously strive to improve our anti-abuse
systems, processes, and expertise.

Rather, I'm seeking to challenge the assumption that privacy / proxy
services are "only" tools for abusive conduct.  There are millions of
legitimate users of our privacy services, but just like any other online
service provider (email, ISP, social network), they can be abused by a
small percentage of customers.    Rod made an excellent point earlier,
in stating that proxy / privacy services are also be victimized by
fraud.

---------------
I would be surprised if the SSAC understands the extent to which online
fraud is being perpetrated upon the public.

JB:  I believe that the SSAC is an excellent source of research and
expertise on a variety of issues, and the focus of this particular
report was on the subject of Domain Hijacking. It notes that privacy
services provide what could be described as "security in depth," by
including an additional layer of authentication / credentials that a
would-be hijacker faces even if they successfully compromise a registrar
account.  In the case of one well-known privacy service, they "NACK" all
transfer requests without exception.

---------------

JB:  Stepping back a bit from this issue, however, I do welcome Rod's
offer of collecting and sharing data relevant to these questions.  And I
eagerly await the results of studies and surveys being conducted in
other areas of ICANN.

Too often, ICANN working groups will devolve into "dueling anecdotes,"
and the conversations hit an impasse.  Until we have something to better
inform our deliberations, I think we should avoid any type of deep-dive
into the subject.

Thanks--

J.