ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

Re: [gnso-rap-dt] Front-Running

  • To: gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-rap-dt] Front-Running
  • From: George Kirikos <icann+rap@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 11:46:51 -0400

Hi folks,

During our call on Monday, the topic of potentially using the AGP for
"cart-holds" came up in relation to the front-running topic.

One of Yahoo's blogs mentioned some research that had some stats on
shopping cart abandonment, which some might find insightful:

http://www.ysmblog.com/blog/2009/08/03/driven-to-distraction/
http://www.emarketer.com/Article.aspx?R=1007156

A number I found interesting was that 37% abandoned their shopping
carts in order to do comparison shopping. This would seem to support
the hypothesis that a cart-hold could harm other registrars. For the
36% with a "lack of money", a cart-hold could harm other potential
registrants for that same domain name that do have money and would be
prepared to register and pay for the domain if it was available.

Of course this was only for US online retailers, and wasn't focused
only on domain name registrations, so results for the set of ICANN
registrars might be at variance with this sample of online retailers.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
416-588-0269
http://www.leap.com/