ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

Re: [gnso-rap-dt] Front-Running

  • To: gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-rap-dt] Front-Running
  • From: Roland Perry <roland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 16:50:33 +0100

In message <716d09d70908200846h648f491r3a6e838b29a6178f@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, at 11:46:51 on Thu, 20 Aug 2009, George Kirikos <icann+rap@xxxxxxxx> writes
During our call on Monday, the topic of potentially using the AGP for
"cart-holds" came up in relation to the front-running topic.

I have many domains registered through a variety of distribution channels (during 15 years).

All of them have so far refrained from telling me I've been a successful buyer until they go off to perform some secret incantations after I've paid, and then email me to "confirm" the purchase later (sometimes several days later).

While this might not best prepare me for a "race" with another registrant, it also doesn't suggest that these people are reserving the names during the ordering process, awaiting for me to confirm I really did want to buy them.

Just my 2p worth as a customer. YMMV.

And when I was a registrar (at a small connectivity ISP), the same thing definitely applied. There was no automation whatsoever between our order acceptance system, and then asking the techie guys to process the registrations the next day. Luckily, I don't recall letting any of my customers down as a result.

On a related topic, I was intrigued to read this news story, which suggests that domain tasting was an important component of front running - without that option it becomes much less profitable to do mechanised front running.

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/08/15/domain-tasting-scam.html
--
Roland Perry