ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

Re: [gnso-rap-dt] Reverse Domain Name Hijacking as a Registration Abuse

  • To: gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-rap-dt] Reverse Domain Name Hijacking as a Registration Abuse
  • From: Roland Perry <roland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 17:09:32 +0100

In message <20090901084806.9c1b16d3983f34082b49b9baf8cec04a.6534b80c4b.wbe@xxxxxxxxx ureserver.net>, at 08:48:06 on Tue, 1 Sep 2009, James M. Bladel <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes

Can you provide a working definition of this, and
particularly how it differs from other types of abuse?  Especially what
distinguishes it from competing claims of rights and/or disputes?

My own understanding of reverse-hijacking is where someone who starts a new business (perhaps without checking first) later discovers that the domains that would be "nice to have" are already registered to someone else. Normally they'd be thwarted by "first come first served" or "register your mark before I register the domain" rules, but nevertheless they try to bully/cheat their way into getting the domain transferred.
--
Roland Perry