ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

Re: [gnso-rap-dt] Reverse Domain Name Hijacking as a Registration Abuse

  • To: gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-rap-dt] Reverse Domain Name Hijacking as a Registration Abuse
  • From: George Kirikos <icann+rap@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 12:32:42 -0400

Hello,

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 12:09 PM, Roland Perry wrote:
> My own understanding of reverse-hijacking is where someone who starts a new
> business (perhaps without checking first) later discovers that the domains
> that would be "nice to have" are already registered to someone else.
> Normally they'd be thwarted by "first come first served" or "register your
> mark before I register the domain" rules, but nevertheless they try to
> bully/cheat their way into getting the domain transferred.

That's a nice plain language description (although it doesn't capture
every case, e.g. folks will sometimes have a long-standing business,
but seek to reverse hijack a generic word).

As an example, albeit in a ccTLD, was the MySpace.co.uk drama, whereby
News Corp. put an innocent domain registrant who had registered their
domain name 6 years prior to the US social network being founded
through the wringer:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/29/myspace_domain_dispute_nominet_davies/

Sincerely,

George Kirikos