ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

RE: [gnso-rap-dt] Reverse Domain Name Hijacking as a Registration Abuse

  • To: "'George Kirikos'" <icann+rap@xxxxxxxx>, <gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rap-dt] Reverse Domain Name Hijacking as a Registration Abuse
  • From: "Greg Aaron" <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 12:44:55 -0400

Yes, I've usually heard the term "Reverse Domain Name Hijacking" in relation
to UDRP cases.  To me it sounds like a domain dispute issue.

As you mention, "Reverse Domain Name Hijacking" means using the UDRP in bad
faith to attempt to deprive a registered domain-name holder of a domain
name."
My impression is that it?s often about acquiring domain names by accusing
the owner of violating a trademark, and demanding that the domain be
transferred. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_domain_hijacking].

"Domain theft" might be something else entirely -- literally stealing a
domain name via an unauthorized transfer or an unauthorized contact update.
There are existing mechanisms to deal with those, including: the existing
registrar transfer dispute process, registrar working it out via its terms
of service, UDRP, and courts. (And IRTP-B is evidently looking at some of
these theft issues.)

So, George, are you interested in both "Reverse Domain Name Hijacking" and
"Domain theft"?

All best,
--Greg