ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

RE: [gnso-rap-dt] RAPWG / Monday 28 September -- action items

  • To: "Rod Rasmussen" <rod.rasmussen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rap-dt] RAPWG / Monday 28 September -- action items
  • From: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 10:34:10 -0700

Rod and Group:

Agree with your second point, particularly the bit about it being
non-trivial.  Also, it should be noted that there is a practical limit
to what can be gleaned from inferential data sources, so that data would
likely involve a high MOE. Additionally, I imagine that registries and
registrars are unlikely to share sensitive internal statistics on abuse
patterns in a public arena like ICANN.

Additionally, I am not clear if our charter requires / requests that
this group conduct the research, or alternatively if our remit is to
make recommendations and design parameters under which this research
should be gathered prior to any successive PDPs.

So, like you, I don't see a quick or easy way to resolve these
questions.  Either the WG takes on this task itself (long delay), or it
is positioned as a recommendation to ICANN or third-party (expensive,
and also delayed).

Thoughts?

J.