ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

[gnso-rap-dt] WHOIS Privacy Considered “Material Falsification” (for spammers)

  • To: Registration abuse list ICANN <gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-rap-dt] WHOIS Privacy Considered “Material Falsification” (for spammers)
  • From: Rod Rasmussen <rod.rasmussen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 00:32:14 -0800

Well this is pretty interesting.

http://sedo.com/links/showlinks.php3?Id=2575

9th Circuit decided that if you're spamming and using a whois privacy service,
then you're breaking CAN-SPAM.  Reading the court's interpretation, it seems to
me, that common sense triumphed over legal-speak.

Not sure if this affects anything we've already discussed, but it is certainly
an important point for the "spamming" abuse category.

Rod