ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

RE: [gnso-rap-dt] Cybersquatting

  • To: martinsutton@xxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rap-dt] Cybersquatting
  • From: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 12:10:34 -0700

Martin:

For my part, I'm concerned about this line:

"In addition, there is insufficient up-front protection mechanisms to
prevent registrants from initially registering infringing domains which
are freely monetized from the date of registration, via PPC and other
online advertising methods, thus earning revenue for the registrant..."

In my reading of this, it raises two concepts that were well-worn
through the course of this WG:  Blacklists and Intent.  Trusting my
memory a bit here (always a scary thing), it seemed that we developed a
fragile consensus around the idea that Blacklists were problematic,
fraught with error, and had a chilling effect on registrant rights and
freedom to choose registrars.  We did, however, acknowledge that
registries and registrars need to have the flexibility to address
recidivism when they spot it.

And with respect to determining registrant Intent, this has often come
up in our conversations.  Understanding that lessons and methods learned
in the security services industry gives us pretty strong *indications*
of intent, we acknowledged that this cannot be iron clad 100% of the
time.  And while there is some acceptable rate of false-positives when
using anti-virus or anti-spam software, even one error in domain
registrations can be very costly for the registrar and registrant.

So, I think we need to be very wary about resurrecting these ideas in to
the report now.  They can be captured in an alternative statement in the
Cybersquatting section (at this point, I think we have 2-3 of those
brewing), but I don't agree that these lines should be in the general
background / overview / recommendations.

Thanks--

J.