ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

[gnso-rap-dt] Phishers using typosquat domains - both new and purchased "parking" domains

  • To: Registration abuse list ICANN <gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-rap-dt] Phishers using typosquat domains - both new and purchased "parking" domains
  • From: Rod Rasmussen <rod.rasmussen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 01:10:44 -0800

I got permission to forward this information on from an investigator who's been
looking into rather unusual phishing attacks against various smaller UK banks.
It cuts across many of the areas we've been talking about, and with the use of
purchased "parking" domains with brand variants in them, represents a new
direction for phishers.  We've seen some similar use of "one-time only" logins
(cookies/IP/unique code) access along with typosquats in several cases, but
this one is nastier.  The major challenge here is that there's often no
evidence that the registrar will be able to see to confirm a shut-down request,
since there's no spam (just waiting for fat fingers) and with one-time use,
very little chance a reported URL will lead to a phishing site that can be
verified directly.  These sites are STILL verifiable, but it's a lot more work.
 This also blurs the lines we've been trying to draw around squatting vs.
criminal malicious use.  All of a sudden, a lot of those "annoying" typosquat
domains are potentially a lot more dangerous to the Internet user community as
a whole.

If anyone would like to chat with Iain about his report, I can put you in
direct contact - I'm not putting his e-mail out on this public list!

Best,

Rod

Rod Rasmussen
President and CTO