ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

[gnso-rap-dt] RAPWG Final Report Comments

  • To: <gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-rap-dt] RAPWG Final Report Comments
  • From: "Berry Cobb" <berrycobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 09:45:19 -0800

Team,

Here are comments relating to the RAP final report, most of which relate to
UoC.  I referenced the last document as produced with Mikey's edits from the
22nd.  I did not redline my suggestions within his version, as I figured
there was already a more recent version of the document floating around.
Further, my comments below are more topics for discussion than actual edits
to text within the report.

In addition to activity in response to this, it is my intent to discuss
several of these topics when we review the Uniformity of Contracts
recommendation from the survey.

Please advise if you have any questions.  Thank you.

(Lines)  - Comment

.         (108-113) - Section 3.2 Process of Background:  Would it be better
to elevate this part of the process with language for bullet #4?  "Several
sub-teams were formed to specifically deep dive on  abuse types and other
RAP topics."  Such sub-teams were:  Cybersquating, Uniformity of Contracts,
Front Running, etc.  As it is presented now, it gives the appearance to the
reader that this was the only sub-team.

.         (1179-1180) - Update text of dispersion table... I will send my
edits under separate cover, as I am not sure of the latest draft.
Basically, I will propose minor edits to better communicate the summary
comments within the last column

.         (1781-1829) - Suggest we strike language of Abuse Provision
Baseline (APB).  9.4.2 Minimum Baseline of Abuse Provisions.  I suggest this
removal, as there seems to be agreement that any of our recommendations from
the Pre-PDP are not to directly influence the formal PDP.  We can discuss
the notion of a minimum baseline, but present text suggests that the APB is
the solution.

.         (1816-1818) - A "One size fits all" kind of provision that can
anticipate future or unknown abuses was the sub-team's desire, but equally
recognize the varying business models may interfere.

.         (1831-1871) - In general, this addition of comments seems to
undermine the recommendation, before the reader even sees the actual
recommendation.  If the BACKGROUND section is meant for the purpose of
outlining consensus or disagreement, then all other sections of the paper
should follow the same style.  If the RAP team feels these additions should
be included, then might I suggest we create a different sub-section for a
few reasons.  First, the addition confuses the guiding principles outlined
within the "sub-team", versus opinions expressed in the "larger RAPWG" (this
is confusing).  Secondly, these additions, with exception to lines
(1849-1855), do not specifically relate to the topic of a minimum baseline.
Additional comments:

o   (1831-1832) - This statement suggests substantial disagreement, while
the result of our initial consensus exercise shows 71% voting in favor of
the PDP.  I suggest this be stricken.

o   (1857-1859) - This addition is new news to me, as I do not recall this
being mentioned in any of the calls.  I could be wrong.  I ask that we
discuss this statement more as a team before determining inclusion.  At the
time of the research, the RAPWG was reviewing all types of abuse and the
intent behind the research was to find specific instances of the abuse types
being discussed by the team.  This ties directly back to the discussion and
I what believe a continuing scope division and confusion around
"Registration Abuse" vs. "Use Abuse."

o   (1861-1871) - Again, if this section is to be included, I suggest we
create a separate section.

.         (2177) - Update chart with accurate RAP members and affiliation;
Titles to be completely filled out and "na" where one does not exist

.         (2275) - Page 74 is missing Top part of the screen capture; there
were two screen shots to give the impression of one.  Refer to the last UoC
draft.

.         (2294) - Suggest Removing Appendix 5 of APB example; please
reference thought from (1781-1829) line item above.

Berry A. Cobb

Infinity Portals LLC
866.921.8891