ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

RE: [gnso-rap-dt] next RAPWG meeting: April 12

  • To: gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rap-dt] next RAPWG meeting: April 12
  • From: berrycobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 11:35:46 -0500

RAP Team,

Welcome back!

For tomorrow?s session, I will be mobile and not likely to participate, but only listen on the call. I suspect my mobility may be a disruption. I want to ensure that we discuss the following topics if not in this meeting, at least the next one, as we will probably first review the public comments.

1. Fake Renewal Notices / Slamming ? prior to Nairobi, I was reminded of a new potential abuse that I think is worthy of our discussion before we go to print with our final draft. At the time, I was categorizing this as ?Slamming.? In review of our initial report, slamming is listed within the Fake Renewal Notice section. After review, perhaps we will require a new category of abuse. In brief and Chris & Mikey can help to expand on this, is a notice sent by a reseller/registrar/or posers stating that they received a request to register a domain in usually .CN that may interfere with a registered name in a more common TLD like .com, .net, .org. They basically state that their client intends to register these domains but they have a temporary hold to verify with the registrant that this will not infringe on trademark, etc? The intent here is to trick the registrant to register the like domains in the other TLDs before the supposed client does. Just in the last few months, I personally have seen a spike among my portfolio as well as friends of mine asking me what to do about this. Lastly, I think I may have evidence that through this chain that it actually may lead back to an accredited registrar. I feel we have a responsibility to review this abuse and include in the our report. I await the discussion.

2. Reverse Domain Name Hijacking & UDRP ? Joe Alonya in Nairobi mentioned this issue, and I feel it will be important for us to review this issue in promoting public feedback. I personally have not experienced any of this, but only have read a few cases.
     a. How will any rules from a resulting PDP affect new gTLDs?

3. Chuck Gomes Comments on RAP ? listen to replay 51:00 minutes. I feel we should review Chuck?s comments and address accordingly. I am especially interested in the discussion around Best Practices.
     a. Whois study
     b. Uniformity of Contracts
     c. Uniformity of Reporting
     d. Best Practices

4. Registration Abuse vs. Use Abuse ? It is my desire that we discuss this once more and provide clarity around this topic. Nairobi was the first I heard of the ?picket fence? and since then I have heard it hundreds of times. Instead of ?picket fence?, I see this as more a very muddy & deep moat that is very ill defined around the purview of Icann. Scope of our WG is one thing vs. the scope of ICANN. Either way, this issue was mentioned extensively in the public comments and has direct bearing on many of our recommendations.

I think that is all for now.....Is it enough?

Thanks all, and I look forward to us meeting again.

Berry Cobb
Infinity Portals LLC
berrycobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.infinityportals.com