ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

Re: [gnso-rap-dt] "slamming" and law enforcement

  • To: "Greg Aaron" <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-rap-dt" <gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-rap-dt] "slamming" and law enforcement
  • From: martinsutton@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 22:00:33 +0100

I can't help thinking we are breaking into new ground but that we should expect
this given the short life of the Internet.

With regards to any meaningful law enforcement, we should not anticipate this
in any jurisdiction I am aware of!  This is a minor, if not completely ignored,
event due to the low value of cost/risk per individual incident. Nice to think
that collectively there could be a case on a collective basis but who, how, why
comes into question.

Agreed, the practices we refer to here are pre-registration but there is little
or no effort emphasized for the prevention of these tactics. Only recourse if
the rights holder chooses to pursue. Legislation is not consistent and cross
jurisdiction creates an immediate obstacle.

I would like to emphasize the fact that renewal notices and 'slamming' alike
have never been treated as a problem because there is no interest to identify
the issues by contracted parties or to be dealt with in a consistent and
forceful manner globally.  We need facts to show the scale and scope if the
problem, including players from the ICANN accredited community. Moreso, Mikey
raised some pertinent points with regards to the chain of contracts which
should be explored further.

So, I would be happy for the RAPWG to put the stake in the ground, along the
lines of more research required.

Kind regards,

Martin

Martin Sutton
Manager, Group Fraud Risk and Intelligence
Ph:  ++44 (0)20 7991 8074
Mob:  ++44 (0)777 4556680
Sent from my BlackBerry

HSBC Holdings plc
Registered Office: 8 Canada Square, London E14 5HQ, United Kingdom
Registered in England number 617987