ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

RE: [gnso-rap-dt] "slamming" and law enforcement

  • To: martinsutton@xxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rap-dt] "slamming" and law enforcement
  • From: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 17:38:50 -0700

Team:

Just to reiterate my comment on today's call, as I'm not confident it
made any sense at the time.

When examining this topic, we have to test three issues:

1.  Does the "slam" involve g/ccTLDs?  (Pass = gTLD)
2.  Does the "slam" involve registrars, or their resellers?  (Pass =
Yes)
3.  Does the "slam" involve the actual registration of the name, or just
a threat to do so? (Pass = Actual Registration).

In order to fall within purview of ICANN, all three tests must pass:
ICANN only manages gTLD registrations, and cannot develop policies for
non-contracted parties.

Assuming for a minutes that all three questions pass, this raises a
fourth question:

4.  Does the string represent a trademark or brand?

If the answer to this question is yes, then the appropriate course of
action is the UDRP.  If, however, it does not, then any policy work
restricting the registration of identical strings is misguided, since it
would presume that the registrant of "example.com" has some prevailing
rights to "example" in other gTLDs.  And in the existing
first-come/first-served environment, this simply isnt the case.

In any event, I'd like to know more about this problem, and what the
most appropriate means to address it may be.  Further research (issues
report?) may be in order, but need to acknowledge ICANN's already
ambitious workload.  Any other avenues, such as reaching out to Law
Enforcement or the ccNSO, would also be worth exploring.

Thanks--

J.