ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

Re: [gnso-rap-dt] cybersquatting edit

  • To: Greg Aaron <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Wendy Seltzer'" <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Rod Rasmussen'" <rod.rasmussen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-rap-dt] cybersquatting edit
  • From: Frederick Felman <ffelman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 11:38:13 -0700

Greg,

If we simply need to make it consistent then lets stick with "or" rather
than "and".  That was my understanding of what we agreed upon and voted on
and is stated plainly.

Moreover, there's precedence for use of "or" and it makes sense:

1) many ccTLDs in multiple ICANN regions use "or" in their definition of
Cybersquatting for the purpose of UDRP including .AU and .ES

2) the basis for the GNSO policy changes to reduce kiting was a case that
demonstrated registration abuse involving Cybersquatting.  One look at the
exhibits link below shows a plainly an example of Cybersquatting as a pure
registration abuse in an actual case.

(Dell & Alienware v. Belgian Domains et al,
http://www.domainnamenews.com/images/dell_doc1.pdf and
http://www.domainnamenews.com/images/dell_doc2.pdf see page 22 for example
of registration abuse where registration = abuse, GNSO Kiting Report
gnso.icann.org/drafts/draft-final-report-domain-tasting-08feb08.pdf )

Have a great weekend, I look forward to what might be a fun and spirited
discussion!

- Fred