ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

RE: [gnso-rap-dt] Barry's draft language regarding use

• To: gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rap-dt] Barry's draft language regarding use
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 02:10:47 -0400

Greg,

Thank you for the revision. My apologies for my late response, as I logged a 12 hour stint viewing what works and what doesn?t within the healthcare industry today.

I did not get the feedback I was looking for, so we can go to print with the version you created below. However, I do propose one enhancement. I do not think the opposition, for lack of a better title, seeks for ICANN to make policy for ANY & ALL uses of domain names. Rather, we are seeking policy action on the use abuses identified and agreed on by the community. For example the use abuses identified within the Malicious Use recommendation. For those that feel they belong to the opposition, please chime in if I misstated here.

Greg?s Revision:
?Some members of the RAPWG are of the opinion that a difference between registration abuse and use abuse cannot be reasonably expressed. Their opinion is that a domain name cannot be used unless it is registered, and therefore any abuse of a registered name is registration abuse. Stated another way, these members believe that policies involving the use of a domain name unrelated to its registration are inside the scope of policies that ICANN can enforce on registries and/or registrars, and ICANN can make policy regarding any or all uses of domain names. ?

Berry?s Revision to Greg?s Revision:
?Some members of the RAPWG are of the opinion that a difference between registration abuse and use abuse cannot be reasonably expressed. Their opinion is that a domain name cannot be used unless it is registered, and therefore any abuse of a registered name is registration abuse. Stated another way, these members believe that policies involving the use of a domain name unrelated to its registration are inside the scope of policies that ICANN can enforce on registries and/or registrars, and ICANN can make policy regarding community defined use abuses of domain names. ?

Also, I have one edit to the Conclusion section. I had missed that section in my review over the weekend, as I thought it was a part of the public comments. The revision is similar to above:

Current Version (Page115, Paragraph 3, Line 8):
Another set of community members feels strongly that ICANN can regulate any thing that occurs on or through gTLD domain names.

Proposed Revision:
Another set of community members feels strongly that ICANN should only regulate areas where identified abuse approved by the community occur on or through gTLD domain names.

Thank you.

Berry Cobb
Infinity Portals LLC
berrycobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.infinityportals.com

From: owner-gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Greg Aaron
Sent: Monday, May 24, 2010 10:19 AM
To: gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: berrycobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gnso-rap-dt] Barry's draft language regarding use

Dear Berry:

Thanks for your work.  Here are some notes; I look forward to your thoughts.

BERRY?S DRAFT, circa page 25:

?To the contrary of aforementioned distinctions about Registration abuse and Use abuse within the context of abuse as we have defined, many members of the RAPWG are of the opinion there is NO distinction. It is argued that a difference between Registration Abuse and Use Abuse cannot be reasonably expressed. A domain name cannot be used unless it is registered; therefore any abuse of a registered name is registration abuse. UDRP is one of the most prevalent examples where ICANN policy scope ventures in to the realm of domain use. Further there are several examples within ICANN scope agreements where use of domains are listed and especially with respect to contributory liability is concerned. Finally, the concern about this debate within the vacuum of dealing with "use abuse" is that if not addressed adequately, not only will abuse expansion continue relative to growth, but ICANN and its contracted parties will likely be in the position where terms of addressing abuse will be dictated. It is our duty as stakeholders of the community to become more proactive in mitigating and preventing all forms of abuse where practical and feasible.
Note:
Given the consistent debate of Registration vs. Use throughout the RAPWG, the group recognizes it extends beyond the purview of the WG and touches many other aspects within the ICANN policy realm. Therefore the RAPWG achieved unanimous consensus that the debate will not be solved here and recommends that the GNSO determine a platform through consultation with ICANN Legal, the ICANN board, and other Stakeholder groups as necessary to resolve this debate.?

PROPOSED REVISION:

?Some members of the RAPWG are of the opinion that a difference between registration abuse and use abuse cannot be reasonably expressed. Their opinion is that a domain name cannot be used unless it is registered, and therefore any abuse of a registered name is registration abuse. Stated another way, these members believe that policies involving the use of a domain name unrelated to its registration are inside the scope of policies that ICANN can enforce on registries and/or registrars, and ICANN can make policy regarding any or all uses of domain names. ?

NOTES:

The sentence that begins ?Stated another way? is designed to make the concept clear by contrasting it to the opposing view. It re-uses some language in the report. Does it work for you?

Barry, I cut this sentence pending further discussion: ?Further there are several examples within ICANN scope agreements where use of domains are listed and especially with respect to contributory liability is concerned.? In the past you have referred to ?ICANN scope agreements? as including registrar-registrant agreements and various terms of service -- but much of what?s in those has nothing to do with ICANN requirements. If there are RAA or ICANN-registry contract clauses where use of domains are listed, please point those out specifically so we can figure out some language.

I cut this sentence pending further discussion: ?UDRP is one of the most prevalent examples where ICANN policy scope ventures in to the realm of domain use.? I suggest this could use further precision, because it could be read to state that ICANN made UDRP policy about use. But the rationale behind the UDRP is a registration problem, and UDRP takes use into account as a demonstration of bad faith. The registration issue is the assigned domain name string itself (a problem of unique assignment). This is all consistent with what the General Counsel?s office said in the Issues Report about Consensus Policy: ?The use of domain names may be taken into account when establishing or changing registration policies?.

The sentence ??ICANN and its contracted parties will likely be in the position where terms of addressing abuse will be dictated? seems like a controversial opinion. We do not know if everyone in the group who holds the view about ICANN scope also holds that opinion. If left in, perhaps it would be safer to attribute the statement.

I also cut the sentence: ?It is our duty as stakeholders of the community to become more proactive in mitigating and preventing all forms of abuse where practical and feasible.? I think all members of the WG are very concerned about abuse and want to do something about it. The group has honest disagreements about what?s practical and feasible to do. People on one side or the other should not be painted as being in favor of abuse.

The Conclusion of the Final Report discusses the debate of Registration vs. Use and how the Council may need to keep it in mind etc.

All best,
--Greg

Greg Aaron
Director, Key Account Management and Domain Security
Afilias
vox: +1.215.706.5700
fax: 1.215.706.5701
gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx
The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy