ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

[gnso-rap-dt] FW: Recommendaitons

  • To: "gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-rap-dt] FW: Recommendaitons
  • From: Marika Konings <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 12:48:59 -0700

Forwarded on behalf of Faisal

------ Forwarded Message
From: Faisal Shah <Faisal.Shah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 12:45:08 -0700
To: "Marika.Konings" <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Frederick Felman <Frederick.Felman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Recommendaitons

Marika, can you forward to the group on my behalf?  I am still having
problems with my email. Thanks. Faisal

Greg,

Recommendation 1 relating to gripe sites is fine as set forth in your email.

Recommendation 2 contemplates addressing deceptive domains names that are
registered with the intent to mislead children. This would likely be names
that are not necessarily offensive (since it would be relatively clear what
it was if it contained an offensive term) but perhaps, for example, names
(likely typos) of famous cartoon characters, among other things, that may
then lead children to offensive content. I am not sure as to the degree this
abuse occurs so perhaps it is best to make a recommendation as follows:

It is unclear as to what degree registration of deceptive domain names to
mislead children occurs. Thus the RAPWG recommends that the ICANN compliance
department gather information over a one year period in order to evaluate
the scope of the problem and then suggest, if necessary, best practices for
registries to determine the most effective means to prevent registration of,
or promptly cancel, deceptive domain names that could lead children to
offensive conduct.

The recommendation as to offensive names would be addressed in
Recommendation 3.  Recommendation 3 is fine as set forth in your email.

Faisal

------ End of Forwarded Message