ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rapimpl-dt]

RE: [gnso-rapimpl-dt] call for agenda items

  • To: "Marika Konings" <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>, "Rosaya, Lisa W." <Lisa.Rosaya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Greg Aaron" <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-rapimpl-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rapimpl-dt] call for agenda items
  • From: "Joi White" <jwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 15:46:53 -0700

Hi Everyone,

Thanks very much to all for the hard work on the draft letter, charts,
revisions and comments. I have a comment and suggestion to add to the
discussion:

(1) No reference to Annex I in the cover letter:

      For comprehensiveness, we should probably reference/explain Annex
I, somewhere. We could simply reference it in the first sentence of the
cover letter.

(2) Formatting and addressing Chuck's comments:

     Just a thought... are we locked into the chart format? It's a great
working tool, nice and clean and easy to read, but maybe not the best
final deliverable? If we convert the data to text, perhaps we could
combine all three charts so no cross-referencing is required. It would
also strip out the duplication across some of the charts. If you're
viewing this sample below in plain text, it's going to look quite
hideous- I can put into a Word doc, if anyone is interested in exploring
this further.

RAP-IDT Proposed Approach based on resource requirements and priority
ranking

A. "Low Hanging Fruit"

    WHOIS Access.

    RAPWG Level of Consensus:                             Unanimous

    The GNSO should request that the ICANN Compliance Department publish
more data about WHOIS accessibility, on at least an annual basis. This
data should include a) the number of registrars that show a pattern of
unreasonable restriction of access to their port 43 WHOIS servers, and
b) the results of an annual compliance audit of compliance with all
contractual WHOIS access obligations. (RAPWG Recommendation #2.)

RAPIDT Rank:                                               3

Implementation Size, Complexity, Scope:       Small

Dependencies:                                              None

Nature of effort/approach:                                Implementation

Next Steps:                                                   Send
letter to ICANN Compliance Department.

Notes from Drafting Team:

Form charter  drafting team to develop a charter for a WG to determine
what additional research and processes may be needed to ensure that
WHOIS data is accessible in an appropriately reliable, enforceable, and
consistent fashion...

...(etc.)

B. Sequence of Remaining RAPWG Recommendations

    Malicious Use of Domain Names...

While the chart format is much cleaner, I think there is a risk that
flipping back and forth between three annexes results in some loss of
the "big picture". Happy to help with re-formatting, since I know I'm
suggesting more work here... but only if others are interested in this
approach.

Best,

-Joi

Joi A. White             | jwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Carr & Ferrell LLP     | http://www.carrferrell.com/

650-812-3461 voice   | 120 Constitution Drive

650-812-3444 fax     | Menlo Park, California 94025 USA