ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-reg-sgc]

Re: [gnso-reg-sgc] Whois Sub Group C - matrix for discussion and additions

  • To: gnso-reg-sgc@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-reg-sgc] Whois Sub Group C - matrix for discussion and additions
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 21:44:05 -0700

Wendy and all sgc members,

  I agree.  In fact as individual domain name registrants are not
fully recognized by ICANN or the GNSO, it seems reasonable
that they are exposed in terms of Whois policy to the whims
of others whom are fully recognized by ICANN or the GNSO.

Bottom line for this sgc group, is whether of not, as a matter
of Whois data policy and practice, registrants have or do not
have control over their domain names data that is available
for public display which really spills over into sgb's area...

Wendy Seltzer wrote:

> I recommend that all cells in this matrix be filled with "CLOSED, absent
> voluntary disclosure by the registrant."  Existing databases, such as
> national business directories, provide better places to add verification
> of domain name association with commercial and non-commercial entities
> and people.
>
> After all, even listing a business's name in the WHOIS for a domain does
> not guarantee that the business controls content available through that
> domain.  In 2002, The Yes Men registered dow-chemical.com in the name of
> the Dow CEO's son and used it for several months before Dow obtained
> control of the domain.
>
> --Wendy
>
> Maria Farrell wrote:
> > Dear sub group members,
> >
> > Following our call last week, attached is a matrix of legal versus natural
> > persons and commercial versus non-commercial activities. It is to help us
> > organise our thoughts about how to distinguish between these categories and
> > develop criteria for doing so consistently.
> >
> > Actions for Sub Group C members:
> >
> > *     Please add examples where new examples will add to understanding of
> > show exceptions to the rule.
> >

> > *     Please add criteria for how to an entity in each cell (e.g. legal +
> > commercial) might be distinguished.
> >
> > Any questions, feel free to email me directly.
> >
> > All the best, Maria
> >

> --
> Wendy Seltzer -- wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx
> phone: +1.617.418.3456 / +44 (0)1865 287203 // cell: 07785 550361
> Visiting Fellow, Oxford Internet Institute
> Fellow, Berkman Center for Internet & Society
> http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/seltzer.html
> http://www.chillingeffects.org/

Regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827