ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-reg-sgc]

Re: [gnso-reg-sgc] Whois Sub Group C - matrix for discussion and additions

  • To: Maria Farrell <maria.farrell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-reg-sgc] Whois Sub Group C - matrix for discussion and additions
  • From: Wendy Seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 12:07:08 +0100

I recommend that all cells in this matrix be filled with "CLOSED, absent
voluntary disclosure by the registrant."  Existing databases, such as
national business directories, provide better places to add verification
of domain name association with commercial and non-commercial entities
and people.

After all, even listing a business's name in the WHOIS for a domain does
not guarantee that the business controls content available through that
domain.  In 2002, The Yes Men registered dow-chemical.com in the name of
the Dow CEO's son and used it for several months before Dow obtained
control of the domain.

--Wendy

--
Wendy Seltzer -- wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx
phone: +1.617.418.3456 / +44 (0)1865 287203 // cell: 07785 550361