ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-reg-sgc]

RE: [gnso-reg-sgc] Commercial vs. Non-commercial

  • To: "Goodendorf,Lynn \(IHG\)" <Lynn.Goodendorf@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-reg-sgc] Commercial vs. Non-commercial
  • From: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 06:09:37 -0700

Of course, we can't base policy on&nbsp;the view of a single geographic
region. That's exactly what ICANN has been accused of doing thus far.</div>
There is already a policy that will soon be in place that allows
registrars to apply for a waiver from its obligations if local laws conflict
with its ICANN Whois requirements. The more complicated we make Whois policy,
the more likely ICANN will be involved numerous such waiver decisions, and the
more we will all pay to support the ever growing ICANN budget.</div>
That said, even if a viable distinction could be made between commercial
and non-commercial activity, describing it and enforcing it are two completly
different issues. It seems pointless to have policy that cannot be reasonably
enforced.</div>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 8px; MARGIN-LEFT: 8px; BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px
solid" webmail="1">-------- Original Message --------<BR>Subject: RE:
[gnso-reg-sgc] Commercial vs. Non-commercial<BR>From: "Goodendorf, Lynn (IHG)"
&lt;Lynn.Goodendorf@xxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Date: Tue, May 22, 2007 7:07 am<BR>
To: "Wendy Seltzer" &lt;wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx&gt;, &nbsp;"Christopher
Gibson"<BR>&lt;cgibson@xxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Cc: "Maria Farrell"
&lt;maria.farrell@xxxxxxxxx&gt;, <BR>&lt;gnso-reg-sgc@xxxxxxxxx&gt;,
&nbsp;&lt;jon.bing@xxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR><BR><PRE>
There are two references from the EU Privacy Directive that I
believe
provide guidance on how to interpret these activities on the Internet.
And I respectfully submit that the distinction of commercial vs.
non-commercial is indeed workable and consistent with EU Data Protection
principles.

Paragraph (12)of the EU Privacy Directive states:
"Whereas the protection principles must apply to all processing of
personal data by any person whose activities are governed by Community
law; whereas there should be excluded the processing of data carried out
by a natural person in the exercise of activities which are exclusively
personal or domestic, such as correspondence and the holding of records
of addresses."

Paragraph (37)of the EU Privacy Directive states:
"Whereas the processing of personal data for purposes of journalism or
for purposes of literary or artistic expression, in particular in the
audiovisual field, should qualify for exemption from the requirements of
certain provisions of this Directive in so far as this is necessary to
reconcile the fundamental rights of individuals with freedom of
information and notably the right to receive and impart information, as
guaranteed in particular in Article 10 of the European Convention for
the Protection of Human Rights....

Based on these concepts, I believe that privacy protection is for
natural persons engaged in purely private activities.
It is not intended for natural persons who choose to engage in public
activities.

I would see a blogger who is purely blogging would be a form of
journalism and their Whois data should have the option to be private.
An activist group that sells t-shirts would not be a natural person
engaged in private activities.

-Lynn Goodendorf