ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-reg-sgc]

RE: [gnso-reg-sgc] Commercial vs. Non-commercial

  • To: "'Tim Ruiz'" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Goodendorf,Lynn \(IHG\)'" <Lynn.Goodendorf@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-reg-sgc] Commercial vs. Non-commercial
  • From: "Christopher Gibson" <cgibson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 10:03:27 -0400

If the distinction between commercial vs. non-commercial is applied for
registrations by natural persons, then each registrant could be required to
self-declare whether they intend to engage in commercial or non-commercial
activities.  This would be a relatively simple step, with the relevant
choice captured at the time of registration.  The potential registrant would
review a list of criteria (with helpful examples), such as that provided in
our email below, in order to help them determine whether they will be
engaging in commercial or non-commercial activities.

As Lynn indicated, this is well within the EU data protection principles, as
well as the APEC Privacy Framework and US law.  It has nothing to do with
distinctions concerning "use in commerce" under trademark law.  For example,
the German ccTLD (.de) has even taken a much more aggressive approach, yet
still considered to be within EU data protection principles:

>From http://www.denic.de/en/faqs/detail_75.html

This data has been rendered public in the whois query for some very good
reasons....

In registering a domain and using it, for instance as the address for a
website, you as a rule become the provider of a media service which rescinds
your usual privacy considerations. There are special laws that apply here
and they require all providers of such services to provide a masthead
disclosing their name and address. So, since everyone can see who you are
here anyway, there would be no point in DENIC keeping your data
confidential.

Against this background, incidentally, the German data-protection
authorities have expressly approved of the publication of personal data in
the whois query.

Chris

  _____