ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-reg-sgc]

RE: [gnso-reg-sgc] Draft Final Report of Sub Group C

  • To: "'Tim Ruiz'" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Maria Farrell'" <maria.farrell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-reg-sgc] Draft Final Report of Sub Group C
  • From: "Chris Gibson" <cgibson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 13:50:57 -0400

Dear Maria and Members,

One quick word on how these distinctions could be practically and easily
enforced.

1.      Approaching the OPOC system based on self-declaration (even though
this will generate some measure of abuse), the data would be captured
through an on-line form at the time of registration:

a.      legal person (company) vs. natural person, and
b.      commercial vs. non-commercial activity.

2.      If a RNH improperly obtains an OPOC-type registration because it is
either (i) a legal person, or (ii) engaged in commercial activity, there
would be a light-weight procedure so that this OPOC registration could be
challenged.  A third-party could provide reasonable evidence (e.g.  a URL
and screen-shot of the website to which the name resolves) to show that (i)
the website is operated by a legal person (company), or (ii) there is
commercial activity, such as a on-line store.  Thus, the system would be
self-policing and third-parties would submit such challenges only if they
had strong incentive to do so, such as in cases of serious abuse.

3.      Most cases would be easy to decide.  A number of participants have
suggested that these distinctions may be difficult, but my view is that the
difficult cases will be the exception, not the rule.  For instance, one
example raised as difficult is an individual's blog which includes
advertising.  My own view is that advertising is commercial activity because
someone would be receiving payment for that advertising.  Further, the
advertising could be promoting fraudulent activities or generating IP
infringement.  That is why, as a policy matter, data protection does not
extend to cover commercial activities.  However, I understand that a few
members in our sub-group believe that, at least in the Internet context,
these existing rules should be different -- but this would be a significant
departure from existing data protection and privacy norms.

4.      The challenge procedure is being discussed in sub-group A.  The
costs for such a system would not be significant; it would be required
through the contracts that RNH's sign; and the outcome of the procedure
would be that the RNH is placed back in the statis quo "open" Whois.

Chris

  _____