ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-reg-sgc]

Re: [gnso-reg-sgc] Draft Final Report of Sub Group C

  • To: "Goodendorf, Lynn (IHG)" <Lynn.Goodendorf@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-reg-sgc] Draft Final Report of Sub Group C
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 20:27:29 -0400

Goodendorf, Lynn (IHG) wrote:
I see that Chris Gibson's comments on this are not in this string of
emails so I have copied it below in this message.
I believe he addresses the concerns you have.

Actually he doesn't. Chris has outlined one approach, which presumably would require registrants and registrars to pick up the tab for the challenge procedure. For once, I'd love to see a policy proposal accompanied by a user pay model.

Let me make another proposal - and I'm quite serious with this. Using competitive means, Registrars will provide a complete whois record for registrants engaged in commercial or suspicious activities at market rates. Those inquirers that do not wish to pay market rates for this clearly desirable data would have to satisfy themselves with the more limited publicly accessible data proposed under the OPOC proposal. Registrars would not be permitted to sell access to data about natural personals not engaged in commercial activities.

A major problem with the current whois policy, and even the OPOC, is that the pricing model associated with the service creates unlimited demand. It is not surprising that *everyone* wants unlimited access to the data, it is free - at least free to query (not free to provide, trust me). This creates ridiculous distortions in the market, none of which are we likely to solve with more regulation or policy.

-ross