ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-reg-sgc]

RE: [gnso-reg-sgc] Draft Final Report of Sub Group C

  • To: <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-reg-sgc] Draft Final Report of Sub Group C
  • From: "Christopher Gibson" <cgibson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 07:49:48 -0400

This has been a helpful discussion.

1.  I understand there is concern that there could be a burden placed on
registrars.  It is important to bear in mind that this burden would not be
great.  Instead, the registrars receive a significant benefit: not being
subject to lawsuit by those (consumers, banks, IP owners, etc.) whose rights
are allegedly being violated by third-parties.

2.  One can recall, in a slightly different context, that Network Solutions
was joined in numerous lawsuits (and had very significant legal expenses)
before the UDRP was implemented.  However, once the clear procedures were in
place, on-line intermediaries such as registrars were no longer needed to be
joined in these lawsuits.  Registrars were no longer stuck between the
proverbial rock-and-a-hard place.  They can offer services that are
tremendously valuable, while also having a clear system of rules that allow
individuals who are subject to abuse caused by third-parties to vindicate
their rights.  As long as registrars play by these rules, they are no longer
in the path of lawsuits that can arise.  We need to develop a similar
approach if an OPOC system is implemented.

Chris