ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-reg-sgc]

Re: [gnso-reg-sgc] Commercial vs. Non-commercial

  • To: "Milton Mueller" <Mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-reg-sgc] Commercial vs. Non-commercial
  • From: "Bertrand de La Chapelle" <bdelachapelle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 13:10:24 +0200

Dear all,

(Been in Geneva for almost two weeks in various WSIS meetings and trying to
catch up.)

On the commercial-non-commercial distinction, given the difficulty to define
precise boundaries, the challenge is to avoid falling once again in the "all
or nothing" debate. So I'll venture a tentative approach below.

As Milton mentions, internet presence is multi-functional and people status
can vary from completely non-commercial to completely commercial. I
understand there is more or less agreement that :

  - legal entities pose no problem (privacy protection is not
  applicable, and companies in any case can have contacts such as
  administrator@xxxxxxxxxxxx))
  - privacy of individuals with absolutely non-commercial activities
  must be protected
  - individuals conducting mainly commercial activities should probably
  not enjoy the same benefits.

Now, the interesting part is the middle zone and the questions of
enforceability and simplicity are key. So, may I suggest the following
approach :

  - the key distinction would indeed be legal entity vs individual
  - in order to benefit from a protection of their personal information,
  individual registrants would self-declare as individuals and indicate they
  do not intend to "primarily" conduct a commercial activity under this domain
  name (the word primarily or an equivalent is key here)
  - "manifest conduct of a primarily commercial activity" on the domain
  name would be recognized as a valid justification for any third party to
  request access to the full data;
  - recognition of such a "manifest conduct of a primarily commercial
  activity" would be done by accredited entities (to be determined) and would
  trigger full requalification of the record and therefore full exposure of
  the contact data.

Criteria for evaluating the commercial nature of the activity could include
elements like the ones listed by Lynn and Christopher. But the key
modification would be  the notion of  "primary  activity".

Agreement on this approach would allow progressing to the next step : the
definition of the relevant accredited entities, their procedures and
potential appeal process. National bodies (including privacy commissioners
where they exist) and courts could probably be integrated to provide a
distributed and still interoperable system.

This proposed procedure adresses basically a subgroup c issue in order to
try to bridge differences regarding the commercial-non-commercial nature of
the registrant. It does not address the issue of requests to access private
data on the basis of any wrongdoing by the domain name holder.

Still, the question of the accredited entities could of course be discussed
in connection with the work of sub-group b (if some entities have full right
of access) and even sub-group a if people believe this should be a
responsibility of the OPoC).

Hope this helps. This is of course just a proposal and comments are welcome.

Best

Bertrand

P.S. : This is not a formal proposal by the french government in a negotiation, but an attempt to help identify common points that seemed to emerge from the discussion. So I must warn in advance that this is just exploratory work to try and define the best global public interest. We are all exploring the new multi-stakeholder format of such combined working groups and no one should underestimate the difficulty to articulate this fast-paced online discussion format with the slower and more structured decision-making processes within governments. Thanks for your patience and understanding :-)