ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-reg-sgc]

[gnso-reg-sgc] Draft Final Report of Sub Group C

  • To: <gnso-reg-sgc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-reg-sgc] Draft Final Report of Sub Group C
  • From: "Philip Sheppard" <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 10:33:20 +0200

I dont know, you take one afternoon off (attending to my day job that is) and
look what
happens on a sub-group that did not even meet ! (31 e-mails is what happens.)

A little clarification on process.
1. The report has been drafted by the sub-group chair Jon Bing (now
travelling). It captures
the discussion to date.
Formal drafting based on conventions such as MUST MAY SHOULD can indeed be done
at a later
stage and will be done by ICANN staff.

2. All sub-groups were asked to present a limited set of OPTIONS but to not
attempt to gauge
support for those options. The logic here is simply that when we attempt that
process it
makes sense to do so:
a) with the complete WHOIS group,
b) in light of the OPTIONS from all three groups.

So let us concentrate on any useful clarifying edits to this sub-group report
for now
eg the footnote on retained versus full data,
eg use of registered name holder rather than registrant.

In assessing practicality (an aspiration I hope we all share) I do believe it
is useful to
have discussion and in this regard the on-list debate has been most helpful.
We also need to consider certainty.
So if an OPTION says a distinction is possible between legal and natural
persons, what is
the meaning of saying this MAY be made versus it MUST be made (by
self-declaration).
If it is voluntary that destroys certainty and practicality does it not ?

Philip