ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-reg-sgc]

RE: [gnso-reg-sgc] Draft Final Report of Sub Group C

  • To: Christopher Gibson <cgibson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-reg-sgc] Draft Final Report of Sub Group C
  • From: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 22:41:56 -0700

recording the response. The point is it is not enforceable&nbsp;in any
practical or timely manner&nbsp;by anyone. </div>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 8px; MARGIN-LEFT: 8px; BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px
solid" webmail="1">-------- Original Message --------<BR>Subject: RE:
[gnso-reg-sgc] Draft Final Report of Sub Group C<BR>From: "Christopher Gibson"
&lt;cgibson@xxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Date: Wed, May 30, 2007 7:17 pm<BR>To: "'Milton
Mueller'" &lt;Mueller@xxxxxxx&gt;, &nbsp;"'Paul
Stahura'"<BR>&lt;stahura@xxxxxxxx&gt;, &nbsp;"'Tim Ruiz'"
&lt;tim@xxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Cc: &lt;gnso-reg-sgc@xxxxxxxxx&gt;, &nbsp;"'Maria
Farrell'"<BR>&lt;maria.farrell@xxxxxxxxx&gt;, &nbsp;"'Lynn (IHG)
Goodendorf'"<BR>&lt;Lynn.Goodendorf@xxxxxxx&gt;<BR><BR><PRE>Milton,

I understand from your views below that you are concerned about potential
abuse in connection with the commercial vs. non-commercial distinction
within the OPOC system and would, in fact, like to expand protection to
extend beyond existing norms for data protection and privacy.  My view,
however, is that sub-group C should not set out to go beyond norms as
they
currently exist within the EU, the US, the Asia-Pacific and most of
the rest
of the world.  Such work should be left to legislative bodies or
norm-setting bodies.

With respect to your comments concerning the registrars, adding an
additional distinction such as commercial vs. non-commercial may add to
their burden, or make their business models in respect of providing OPOC
services more complicated.  Thus, I am not surprised that they would
choose
to voice opposition.  While their position should certainly be taken into
account, it should not be determinative in developing a proper
approach and
policy in relation to OPOC's scope and registrations.

Chris