ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-res-sga]

RE: [gnso-res-sga] Whois working group -- subgroup A (reponsibilities)

  • To: <gnso-res-sga@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-res-sga] Whois working group -- subgroup A (reponsibilities)
  • From: "Scoville, Adam" <ascoville@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 23:32:35 -0600

Hi Milton -

On your first point - I wasn't actually talking about liability there,
and perhaps I should clarify. When I say that the party one can reach
should be the functional and legal equivalent of the registrant, I mean
just that the mechanism for contacting the OPoC should be functionally
and legally equivalent to contacting the registrant. Functionally in the
sense that we're reasonably assured, in a practical sense, that the
communication actually reaches the registrant, and does so very
promptly. Legally, in the sense that if a third party has an obligation
to provide legal notice to the registrant, that third party should be
deemed to have fulfilled that obligation by properly providing the
notice to the OPoC.

On your second point, actually, I was AGREEING with you, that the admin
and technical contacts (who are usually natural persons) are NOT
necessarily liable for a domain's use.  But the registrant IS liable for
the domain's use to whatever extent is provided by national law. In the
example you cited of remax.net, you quoted the admin/tech contact info.
Here is the registrant info:

Registrant:
REMAX INTERNATIONAL
5075 S. Syracuse Street
Denver, CO 80237
US

This tells you who the registrant is, gives information sufficient to
verify the registrant's identity (in this case with the Colorado
Secretary of State) and the location information necessary to serve
process upon the registrant. My point is that it's when we lack this
accurate information (as under the OPOC proposal) that we need to look
into the adequacy of the substitute.

Best,
Adam