ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-res-sga]

RE: [gnso-res-sga] Whois working group -- subgroup A (reponsibilities)

  • To: gnso-res-sga@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-res-sga] Whois working group -- subgroup A (reponsibilities)
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 11:20:12 -0700 (PDT)

I have been giving this some thought (difficult in my case) and it seems to me
that proxy/OPoC s should be fully registered and perhaps even pay a fee for
obtaining a license to act as one. They should be certified and perhaps bonded.
  Accountability and transparency would come a long way if this were done and I
think the burden and cost de minimus.

  Eric

Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    Everything the Milton says here is accurate.
  But he fails to address the liability of the Proxy/OPoC for not doing what he
says he will do.
  If he fails to act in a manner prescribed by the contract/Law then he is
liable for the damages caused thereby.
  Not attempted to contact the registrant or contacting them in a manner to
help avoid consequences for abhorrent behavior, come to mind.

  Eric

Milton Mueller <Mueller@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> "Scoville, Adam" 5/9/2007 5:49 PM >>>
>Purpose of the OPoC's responsibilities: I think the basic
>principle in defining the OPoC's responsibilities is that if
>one can't directly reach the registrant, the party one
>can reach should be the functional and
>legal equivalent.

No. The basic principle behind OPoC is clearly stated in the OPoC
proposal. Its function is to reliably forward information to the
registrant. Nothing more, nothing less. For many registrants, the
contact will be their own legal entity, but for many others it will be a
service associated with registration. An OPoC should not be legally
responsible for what a domain registrant does any more than an ISP or
registrar should be legally responsible for what one of their customers
does.

>You're right that this kind of liability isn't imposed on
administrative
>or technical contacts. But Whois currently (in theory - accuracy
>issues aside) enables one to contact the party that does have
>that responsibility and liability - the registered name holder.
>So you don't need a substitute.

Wrong again. Look up the Whois data for , oh, remax.net:

Domain Name: REMAX.NET

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
REMAX INTERNATIONAL domains@xxxxxxxxx
5075 S. Syracuse Street
Denver, CO 80237
US 303.796.3208 fax: 303 796 3822

If you call that number you get voicemail for someone called Tina Bash.
Is Tina Bash personally liable and responsible for whatever happens with
that domain?

  Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.

Got a little couch potato?