ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-res-sga]

RE: [gnso-res-sga] FW: [gnso-acc-sgb] Impact on UDRP

  • To: <gnso-res-sga@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-res-sga] FW: [gnso-acc-sgb] Impact on UDRP
  • From: "Scoville, Adam" <ascoville@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 17:24:01 -0600

On the need to be able to prove the case, yes, I think this would
logically have to be a "reveal" event. After all, showing the OPoC in
Whois is meant to provide the registrant privacy, not shield illegality.

But luckily the standard for when there is a possible/impending UDRP
case is pretty easy - it's basically the UDRP prong of whether the
domain is, on its face, "identical or confusingly similar" to the
trademark (without regard to the "legitimate interest" or "bad faith"
prongs, which are the ones that the mark owner is unable fully to
investigate without the Whois information).

- Adam