ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-res-sga]

RE: [gnso-res-sga] FW: [gnso-acc-sgb] Impact on UDRP

  • To: ascoville@xxxxxxxxx, gnso-res-sga@xxxxxxxxx, met@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-res-sga] FW: [gnso-acc-sgb] Impact on UDRP
  • From: Christopher Gibson <cgibson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 11:04:58 -0400 (EDT)

Steve,

Here's a  further comment on your question - is
the remaining publicly accessible information
about the registrant (name, province, country)
enough for a UDRP complainant to investigate and
prove that the registrant has no rights or
legitimate interest in a domain name? Put another
way, would an impending (or actual) UDRP complaint
be a circumstance in which the OPOC should not
only "relay" but also "reveal" full contact data?

1. Substantive Merits:  The filing of a formal
UDRP complaint should trigger the "reveal" step
for access to WHOIS data.  Concerning the merits
of a UDRP case, the claimant needs to know as much
as possible about the registrant in order to
determine and prove whether the registration
and/or use is in bad faith. The more difficult
question is whether the reveal-step should come
before the actual filing of a complaint.  If this
information is only revealed to a complainant
after the complaint is filed, there will likely be
a number of UDRP cases that could have been
avoided if the complete WHOIS data had been
available prior to filing.  The following details
included in a WHOIS record can provide important
information relevant to determining the merits of
a UDRP case:
  *  registrant name  - is it the same or similar
    to the domain name;
  * address/email - provides a contact point for
    sending communucations, even before a UDRP
    case is filed.  Indicates where in the world
    the registrant is located.  Also, permits
    inquiry into question whether the address in
    the WHOIS is real or fictitious;
  * date created - in many cases it is important
    to determine exactly when the domain name was
    registered;
  * administrative or technical contacts - these
    details can be important to determine whether
    they provide additional information (e.g., an
    alternate address) for the registrant or
    information about third-parties which may be
    connected/affiliated with the registrant; and
  * registrar.
2.  Communications: The WHOIS data is relied on
for purposes of communications and giving proper
notice of a UDRP case.  The UDRP Rules provide in
paragraph 2(a) that: "When forwarding a complaint
to the Respondent, it shall be the Provider's
responsibility to employ reasonably available
means calculated to achieve actual notice to
Respondent." The following measures discharge this
responsibility:  "(i) sending the complaint to all
postal-mail and facsimile addresses shown in the
domain name's registration data in Registrar's
Whois database for the registered domain-name
holder...,  and (ii) sending the complaint in
electronic form ... by e-mail to: (A) the e-mail
addresses for those technical, administrative, and
billing contacts....  Further, paragraph 4
provides that the date of commencement of a UDRP
case is the date on which the Provider completes
its responsibilities under Paragraph 2(a) in
forwarding the Complaint to the Respondent.

On further consideration, the UDRP Rules may need
to be amended if WHOIS data is not available prior
to filing a UDRP complaint.  For example, the
complainant may have access to WHOIS information
that only becomes available after filing the
formal complaint.  Under these circumstances, the
complainant would then probably want to submit an
additional filing.  This makes the UDRP procedure
more costly, lengthy and less efficient.

Chris Gibson