ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-restruc-dt]

Re: [gnso-restruc-dt] outstanding issues

  • To: gnso-restruc-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-restruc-dt] outstanding issues
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:52:16 -0400

Hi Philip,

On 26 Mar 2009, at 10:18, Philip Sheppard wrote:

Avri,
I agree with your proposals and having revisited the list believe all but one item is done
and ready for Council approval.
I attach suggested way forward.
The only item left is any voting thresholds not yet addressed.

Philip
<GNSO Transitionv1.doc>

I am fine with most of your wordings except:

9. Apportionment mechanism for Nominating Committee Appointees (NCAs) – how are NCAs assigned to each house and the council-level position?

Done
DT recommends transitional approach for 2009.
The longest serving appointee will become the council-level appointee. The other two will agree among themselves which house to sit in. In the event of no-agreement they will be asked to resign. Ready for Council approval.

In this case, maybe a compromise position is flip a coin if they can't decide.

In seriousness, you might have 2 new NCAs who have no basis for making a choice yet. This is especially likely if new people are brought into the GNSO - while they might understand something about TLDs ad their policies, they might have no view into the esoterica that is GNSO Council practice. And I have seen too many NCAs, and others, come into the GNSO council, myself included, and be bewildered for the first few months not knowing what was what. (BTW: is the OSC working on how a new council member is welcomed and brought up to speed on the work of the council)

Selecting yet another set of new NCAs after they resigned would be sort of pointless.

A question on the items where you suggested the staff draft a by-law, or in some cases GNSO procedure change, are you suggesting that they start from the ideas I suggested in my note?

Also I would like to ask the staff to put as few of the rules in by- law as possible, puttig the rest in GNSO procedures update.

It would be good to hear from some of the other participants on this list. It would be useful to know how soon we could see the draft of by-law and procedure updates.

a.