ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-restruc-dt]

Re: [gnso-restruc-dt] outstanding issues

  • To: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-restruc-dt] outstanding issues
  • From: Liz Williams <lizawilliams@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 06:54:58 +0100

Hello Tim & Chuck & everyone

I have been thinking about the role of the Nominating Committee representatives -- I am one of the BC elected reps to the Nominating Committee. Of course, the group needs to get broader input on that from others in the Nominating Committee realm about how to be most constructive. My personal thoughts are that it would be short sighted to have the Nominating Committee's remit extended into appointing particular people to particular spots.

I would have thought it more sensible to have the list of the three Nominating Committee representatives prepared and then seek the guidance of, say, the existing chair and the chairs of the two houses to balance up where the NomCom reps should be seated. There is also nothing to stop us rotating the NomCom reps through each of the houses and the floating spot, given that they have two year terms.

In practice though I would have thought that a good Nominating Committee rep would "sit" with a house but be capable of moving and consulting and learning through the two houses. That element is something that, I think, needs to be fed back into the Nominating Committee when they are doing the fine balancing act of finding the right people for the right places for the right time. That changes each year and it certainly changes depending on the Statements of Interest.

Best wishes.

Liz
Liz Williams
+44 1963 364 380 tel