ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-restruc-dt]

RE: [gnso-restruc-dt] outstanding issues

  • To: "Liz Williams" <lizawilliams@xxxxxxx>, "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-restruc-dt] outstanding issues
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 09:20:47 -0400

Liz,

Please see my comments below.

Chuck

________________________________

        From: owner-gnso-restruc-dt@xxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-gnso-restruc-dt@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Liz Williams
        Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 1:55 AM
        To: Tim Ruiz
        Cc: gnso-restruc-dt@xxxxxxxxx

        Hello Tim & Chuck & everyone

        I have been thinking about the role of the Nominating Committee
representatives -- I am one of the BC elected reps to the Nominating
Committee.  Of course, the group needs to get broader input on that from
others in the Nominating Committee realm about how to be most
constructive.  My personal thoughts are that it would be short sighted
to have the Nominating Committee's remit extended into appointing
particular people to particular spots.
        [Gomes, Chuck] I think it could just as easily be perceived as
short sighted to do otherwise but there is probably little value in
arguing that point.

        I would have thought it more sensible to have the list of the
three Nominating Committee representatives prepared and then seek the
guidance of, say, the existing chair and the chairs of the two houses to
balance up where the NomCom reps should be seated.[Gomes, Chuck]   Note
that there may not be any formal House structure and hence may not be
any House officers.  There is also nothing to stop us rotating the
NomCom reps through each of the houses and the floating spot, given that
they have two year terms.[Gomes, Chuck]  In my opinion, this complicates
the learning curve for the NomCom appointees.

        In practice though I would have thought that a good Nominating
Committee rep would "sit" with a house but be capable of moving and
consulting and learning through the two houses.[Gomes, Chuck]   I think
this assumes that there is some sort of formal House structure and that
may or may not be the case and may be different by House.  It is quite
possible that the Houses will merely be paper constructs for voting
purposes only.  That element is something that, I think, needs to be fed
back into the Nominating Committee when they are doing the fine
balancing act of finding the right people for the right places for the
right time.  That changes each year and it certainly changes depending
on the Statements of Interest.

        Best wishes.

        Liz

        Liz Williams