ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-restruc-dt]

RE: [gnso-restruc-dt] object to proposal to change name of Non-Contracting Parties House

  • To: "'Robin Gross'" <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Gnso-restruc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-restruc-dt] object to proposal to change name of Non-Contracting Parties House
  • From: "Tony Holmes" <tonyarholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 22:42:05 +0100

Robin/All

There may be a lack of understanding here, so please let me try and clarify
the background to this request. This request was made as ISPs are NOT
'users' and the proposed term is a much more accurate reflection of the make
up of that house. The term 'providers was initially widely used in the past
but dropped once it became clear (particularly to the Board) that ISPs were
indeed 'providers' as much as other parties.

Splitting the GNSO down the middle between contracted and non contracted
parties is a sub division that does provide a negative perception to the
outside world and that divide shouldn't be seen as the basis for all policy
development.

Robin - I hope that having provided that information the NCUC will
reconsider there stance on this.

Regards

Tony

  _____