ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-restruc-dt]

RE: [gnso-restruc-dt] object to proposal to change name of Non-Contracting Parties House

  • To: Tony Holmes <tonyarholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Robin Gross'" <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Gnso-restruc-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-restruc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-restruc-dt] object to proposal to change name of Non-Contracting Parties House
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 06:17:54 -0400

Tony:
I see no pejorative implication in the division between "Contracting" and
"Noncontracting." As labels they reflect simple facts. The reason the GNSO is
bicameral is because of that fundamental structural aspect of ICANN's
governance regime.

There are as many, if not more, divisions between registrars / registries and
between commercial / noncommercial users as there are cross-house divisions. We
will not reconsider our stance on this. Sorry, Tony. I understand your
objection to "User" house but can see no rational basis for objecting to
"Non-contracting"