ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-restruc-dt]

[gnso-restruc-dt] Naming the Houses

  • To: <Gnso-restruc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-restruc-dt] Naming the Houses
  • From: "Philip Sheppard" <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 14:11:32 +0200

There are two primary objections to "Non-contracting parties House"

a) The world outside ICANN
We are often too intro-spective when we discuss ICANN issues.
For me, as someone involved for most of my time in non-ICANN issues I
frequently explain to
senior policy makers and CEOs what ICANN is about.
Using language to describe a group such as "Users" communicates to these people.
"Non-contracting" requires a detailed understanding of ICANN.

b) Self-esteem
As professionals engaged in a political and economic process we do not wish to
be known for
what we are NOT.
We wish to be known for what we are.