ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-restruc-dt]

RE: [gnso-restruc-dt] Q4; In Section 3.1: Question of constituency role

  • To: <avri@xxxxxxx>, <Gnso-restruc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-restruc-dt] Q4; In Section 3.1: Question of constituency role
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 18:06:09 -0400

My answers to the questions are inserted below.

Chuck

Chuck: I fully support deleting the above because it is totally
impractical.  In other words, it would be terribly complicated to
implement without commensurate value.

> A pending discussion was: what does it mean to be a
> constituency if a constituency does not have an automatic
> seat on the council?  In the meeting it was suggested that
> constituencies provided an organized way for people with
> similar concerns to participate in the process and in the SGs.

Chuck: As was stated on the call yesterday, constituencies serve as
interest groups for stakeholders who have common interests. They serve
as a way to: 1) refine and consolidate input into SGs and the GNSO as a
whole; 2) solicit volunteers for WGs, WTs, and DTs; 3) provide a 2-way
communication vehicle between constituency members and the GNSO/ICANN;
4) improve the efficiency of participation in GNSO and ICANN processes.

> Does this need to be described somewhere in the By-Laws?

Chuck: No.  First of all, one size will not fit all constituencies and
that is good.  Secondly, putting this in the Bylaws could limit
innovative new purposes for constituencies.

> The question also remains on whether any considerations are
> required within the By-Laws on the relationship between
> Constituencies and the Stakeholder groups in order to
> implement the Board's recommendations for increased
> participation and representation.

Chuck: The Bylaws should require that SGs are open for participation by
all eligible members.  That means that SG charters must accommodate open
participation for all eligible members and that SGs must effectively
support such open participation.  If they do not, action should be
taken.