ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-restruc-dt]

RE: [gnso-restruc-dt] Q10. Section 3.6: Restriction on who can be elected to a board seat. (13 or 14)

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Margie Milam" <Margie.Milam@xxxxxxxxx>, <Gnso-restruc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-restruc-dt] Q10. Section 3.6: Restriction on who can be elected to a board seat. (13 or 14)
  • From: "Nevett, Jonathon" <jnevett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 16:14:35 -0400

I agree with Chuck.  In addition, the draft Bylaw actually made the
second part of the criteria less clear than what appeared in the Final
Report from the working group.  The original recommendation included
parallel criteria:

"Contracted Parties House elects Seat 13 by a 60% vote and
User/Non-Contracted Party House elects Seat 14 by a 60% vote; BUT both
seats may not be held by individuals who are employed by, an agent of,
or receive any compensation from an ICANN-accredited registry or
registrar, nor may they both be held by individuals who are the
appointed representatives to one of the GNSO user stakeholder groups."

Somehow, that parallel criteria became more one-sided in the draft Bylaw
recently circulated:

"Both seats shall not be held by individuals who are employed by, an
agent of, or receive any compensation from an ICANN-accredited registry
or registrar nor shall both seats be held by individuals who are the
elected or appointed representatives to one of the four GNSO Stakeholder
Groups or any Constituency."

I'm not even sure what the second part means.  Chuck has one
interpretation below, but the language is less than clear.  Regardless,
both parts should be deleted.

For your reference, the following is the Registrar view on this topic:

The RC has concerns with the criteria related to the election of Board
Seats 13 and 14, which would prohibit both seats from being held by
someone affiliated with a registry or registrar or both seats being held
by representatives to one of the user/non-contracted party groups.  The
rationale for the criteria only applied when the entire Council was
electing both candidates, and there was a sense that there should be
protection against a voting block that could elect both directors.
However, once the recommendation changed to be that each house would
elect one director, the need for the criteria no longer was necessary or
helpful. Each voting house will ensure that the two directors come from
a diverse viewpoint.

If the criteria are included, it could result in gaming by either house
by electing someone who might have nominal contacts with one interest
group, but really represents another.

Moreover, it also could result in a situation that would hurt the ICANN
Board by disqualifying stellar candidates.  For example, under the
drafted criteria, Bruce Tonkin and Vint Cerf could not serve in seats 13
and 14 (as both Melbourne IT and Google are accredited registrars).
Indeed, Vint Cerf and Bill Gates both could not serve in such capacities
(Microsoft also is an accredited registrar). As there is no longer need
for the criteria, and in light of the risk that the criteria may be
gamed and could potentially disqualify outstanding candidates, the RC
suggests that the criteria be deleted. Specifically, the Contracted
Parties House should elect Seat 13 by a 60% vote and User/Non-Contracted
Party House should elect Seat 14 by a 60% vote without reference to
Criteria.

Thanks.

Jon