ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-restruc-dt]

Re: [gnso-restruc-dt] Q3. In Section 3 1.e: Mechanism for selecting house for NCAs

  • To: Gnso-restruc-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-restruc-dt] Q3. In Section 3 1.e: Mechanism for selecting house for NCAs
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 03:06:50 -0400

Hi,

Not sure I understand your comment.

Are you saying that the nomcom needs to pick 3 people this time instead of 2. We have one person with a continuing term, as I understand the Nomcom's plan they are selecting 2 people as per the normal order. In this case Terry's term will span both the old council and the new one, and I do not believe the Nomcom is planning anything other then that. Nor do I get the impression that the Board is requiring anything in this area. But of course they can correct my impression.

As for the NCAs not picking who serves in the council that is true and I don't think anyone suggested otherwise. But when the Nomcom picks people for a 2 year term, they are not saying: 'And if the council reorganizes we go back to zero.' That person is picked by the nomcom for a two year term no matter how the council is reorganized.

The SG's, or some of them in any case, seem to be deciding that a reorg'ed council means new elections, and that is a fine choice if the SG wants to make that choice, but I see nothing that requires it to be the case for all SGs. And SG could just decide to leave in the council members that were sitting until the next regular election. As far as I can tell, the choice of how an SG seats it members is up to the SG charter as approved by the board - and subject to any transition plans they may agree on.

Finally, i think Jon's recommendation was not that NCAs would self appoint themselves to the council, but rather that in this first year, they would allocate themselves by mutual agreement to a house or to the state of homelessness, since it is too late for the Nomcom to do that (assuming that Nomcom picking per house ends up the prevalent choice).

a.