ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-restruc-dt]

RE: [gnso-restruc-dt] Q10. Section 3.6: Restriction on who can be elected to a board seat. (13 or 14)

  • To: "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx>, "Nevett, Jonathon" <jnevett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Margie Milam" <Margie.Milam@xxxxxxxxx>, <Gnso-restruc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-restruc-dt] Q10. Section 3.6: Restriction on who can be elected to a board seat. (13 or 14)
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 10:09:25 -0400

Let's be absolutely clear that the contracted parties do not have veto
power under the current Council voting  procedures.  The contracted
parties have the same number of votes as the noncontracted parties, no
more, no less.  The election of a Board member under our current system
only requires a simple majority vote so it is simply wrong to suggest
that the contracted parties have a veto power.  If the noncontracted
parties nominated a candidate that was supported by all noncontracted
parties  and two of the three NCAs, that person could have been elected
and the contracted parties could have done nothing to change that.

In reality, what happened in the last Board seat election is that we
unanimously elected Rita.  The fact that Rita was provided was legal
support to a new registry operator has not in my opinion made her favor
contracted or noncontracted parties in her service as a director.  The
same would apply to Bruce.

Chuck