ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rn-wg]

RE: [gnso-rn-wg] RN-wg transcription and MP3 recording 25 January 2007

  • To: "'Tamara Reznik \(ELCA\)'" <treznik@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'GNSO.SECRETARIAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-rn-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rn-wg] RN-wg transcription and MP3 recording 25 January 2007
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <Michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 20:31:19 -0500

Tamara:

Having previously served on the ICANN Board's Conflict Committee perhaps
I can shed some light on this requirement.

ICANN is a very unique structure in which a very broad range of
stakeholders participate, some that have direct contracts with ICANN
(i.e. registries and registrars), those that have indirect relationships
with ICANN (i.e. consultants like myself that at times provide services
to registrations authorities, resellers, traffic aggregators, etc.), and
stakeholders that are impacted by ICANN's actions (i.e. registrants,
brand holders and other internet stakeholders).

Now although the ICANN Board always required its directors to submit
annual statements of interest, this practice was not widely followed
historically at the GNSO level were gTLD policy was developed. In the
interest of openness and transparency, the GNSO council, working groups
and task forces have had members make these general disclosure
statements over the past year or so. This also helps minimize potential
problems as some parties that have sued ICANN in the past have
questioned the motives/actions of certain participants in connection
with certain anti-trust claims.

These disclosures are particularly important with people with indirect
interests. It is generally straight forward to understand the interests
that registrations authorities such as registries and registrars bring
to the table. However, when you get into consultants and other third
parties the interests may not be as clear.

These are just my own personal comments, although I will leave it to the
chair or ICANN staff on this list to provide their own response.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Michael