ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rn-wg]

[gnso-rn-wg] Suggestions re. 'Straw' Recommendations and Personal Views

  • To: <gnso-rn-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-rn-wg] Suggestions re. 'Straw' Recommendations and Personal Views
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 09:50:31 -0500

As I communicated in our meeting yesterday, each group preparing a
reserved name report is expected to develop 'straw' recommendations.
Here are some suggestions in that regard.

1.      Your 'straw' recommendations should be largely based on the
other portions of your report (background, role, expert consultation and
information source summaries).  Therefore, it probably is not very
useful to start forming 'straw' recommendations before you have made
considerable progress in the other four areas of the report.
2.      Ultimately, the 'straw' recommendations will be reviewed,
evaluated, revised as necessary and finally converted into final
recommendations approved by the full WG, so it is important to be able
to support your recommendations with information from the other parts of
your report and not your own personal opinions.
3.      Within your small group, it is perfectly fine to express
personal opinions as you discuss 'straw' recommendations with the first
goal being to develop 'straw' recommendations that each of you in the
small group can support.  If you are unable to come to rough consensus
in that manner, then you may communicate alternative recommendations,
noting that you were unable to agree.  Please keep in mind, that in some
more complex cases, recommendations may be that further work needs to be
done beyond our WG.
4.      If rough consensus is reached in the small groups regarding
'straw' recommendations, then it likely is not necessary to include
personal opinions.
5.      The goal of the 'straw' recommendations is to put a stake in the
ground for the full WG to consider.
6.      As was pointed out several times in our call yesterday, we need
to maintain a balance between idealism and pragmatism because we have a
very short period of time to complete our work.

Chuck Gomes