ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rn-wg]

[gnso-rn-wg] RE: [gnso-idn-wg] Re: Banning CCHH anywhere in a label

  • To: "'Tan, William'" <William.Tan@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <rmohan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-rn-wg] RE: [gnso-idn-wg] Re: Banning CCHH anywhere in a label
  • From: "Edmon Chung" <edmon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 10:38:36 +0800

I dont think you are missing anything William.
Was trying to speak up during the call earlier, I dont think the concern Sophia
was articulating should be an issue.

If I am not mistaken, Sophia was asking whether it would be necessary to
reserve names such as:

abc<CCHH>xyz.tld

These names would NOT be considered IDN nor parts of which IDN, but are simply
ASCII domains.  <CCHH> can be best seen as a prefix to denote that a domain
label (i.e. between two dots) has at least one non LDH (letter-digit-hyphen)
character.

Using the example described:

citibank<CHINA>.tld

where <CHINA> is in Chinese, William's explanation is correct, it should become:

<CCHH>citibank-<encodedCHINA>.tld

And NOT

Citibank<CCHH><encodedCHINA>.tld

So, by reserving <CCHH> at the front (i.e. first 4 characters, or more
precisely, hyphens in the third and fourth character> we cover all cases of
intended IDN expressions.

Edmon