ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rn-wg]

RE: [gnso-rn-wg] Reserved Names vs. Prohibited Names

  • To: <gnso-rn-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rn-wg] Reserved Names vs. Prohibited Names
  • From: "Marilyn Cade" <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 10:14:55 -0500

Let me add in some thinking through what this would look like FROM MY
PERSPECTIVE ONLY.

I think that we are finding that treatment of strings can be different at
the top and second level. But also, that the idea of a business model with a
set of premium names may vary from registry to registry, and we need to
reach agreement on whether that is a unique category, so we don't want to
use the term 'reserved' names, but a special category. The examples of names
reserved by .info and .biz for example include names not to be used, and not
to be released. While .mobi had a business plan that has of course 'reserved
names, but a special category of 'yet to be released and to be allocated in
a special way, as agreed via the contract registry with ICANN.

                                CHUCK'S RATINGS         MARILYN'S STRAW
DRAFT
                                                                Top Level
2nd Level
ICANN & IANA related - Prohibited                       Prohibited
Prohibited                      X

Single Character - Prohibited                           Prohibited
Reserved

Two Character - Reserved                                Prohibited
Reserved

Tagged - Reserved                                               Prohibited
Prohibited

NIC, Whois, www - Prohibited                            Prohibited
Prohibited

Geographic & Geopolitical - ?                           Prohibited
Reserved

Third Level     3rd level - some prohibited          Mix
Mix
 & some reserved

Other 2nd Level - some prohibited & some
Reserved                                                       Mix
Mix

Controversial - ?                                                under
development...

Does this type of categorization add value to our work?  I do believe
that being clear in our definition of reserved names is helpful.

Chuck Gomes