ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rn-wg]

RE: [gnso-rn-wg] Current Report: Controversial Names

  • To: "Gomes,Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rn-wg] Current Report: Controversial Names
  • From: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 05:44:47 -0700

Thanks Chuck. I was aware of that. My comments regarding the seven FCC
banned words pertain only to the top level. I would like to think that
the DOC would not apply a unilateral veto to what is added to root, but
the reality is that they certainly can and would in regards to those
words.

In general, my desire is to establish objective and predictable criteria
for applicants and for ICANN to apply as the GAC suggests in principle
2.11. But I don't think we or ICANN can or should try to pre-determine
criteria based on GAC principles 2.1 and 2.6. There may be some strings
that clearly cross those lines and that ICANN reviewers could easily
determine need to be denied or go into a hold status for further
review. But for the most part, I don't think ICANN should make that
determination and should instead rely on others to comment, advise,
contest, or protest.

So I see the requirement that strings not be contrary to public policy
principles as a warning, not something that needs to be or even could
be fleshed out into a fully objective and predictable set of criteria.
Applicants should beware of this requirement, do their due dilligence,
and be prepared to deal with possible protests. To the extent that
*some* obvious objective criteria in this regard can be established
(such as the seven words banned by the FCC), that's good. But it can
never be complete.

Finally, there needs to then be a process by which strings, challenged
on the basis that they are contrary to public policy principles, can be
temporarily set aside (but kept in queue) while the challenge is being
investigated. Avri, made the point on the call that this process is
already described in the final report. That's what the sub-group needs
to review, see if it addresses concerns Marilyn and I have, and see if
we can reach a consensus recommendation.

Tim Ruiz
Vice President
Corp. Development & Policy
The Go Daddy Group, Inc.
tim@xxxxxxxxxxx

This email message and any attachments hereto is intended for use only
by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged
and/or confidential information. If you have received this email in
error, please immediately notify the sender and permanently delete the
original and any copy of this message and its attachments.