ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rn-wg]

[gnso-rn-wg] Re: [gnso-idn-wg] Re: Banning CCHH anywhere in a label

  • To: ck@nic.museum, "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-rn-wg] Re: [gnso-idn-wg] Re: Banning CCHH anywhere in a label
  • From: "Sophia B" <sophiabekele@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 09:53:44 -0800

This reduces to prohibiting two consecutive hyphens in a label, unless
> they are in the second and third position (and that label would not be
> rejected by any other restrictions on hyphens that already apply).
>
> Before recommending the introduction of this constraint it might be
> advisable to determine the number of currently registered names that it
> would invalidate (and/or to assess the scope of the grandfathering
> effort
> that would be required to retain them.

Dear Chuck and Cary

Cary, clearly already registered names that fit this pattern (probably
ASCII + IDN in the IDN label with xn-- (or cc--) in the ASCII portion)
will have to be grandfathered if we decide to ban. Probably not too
many of them anyway. Also, I repeat I had only summarised the various
thoughts, that the analaysis was preliminary and *more work had to be
probably done to know the absolute consequences*.

Chuck,

Thanks Sophia for explaining but I confess that you have not convinced me
that it is worth doing

I was only providing a summary of the different voices from the IDN WG
and given the *inconclusive views,* i had no group suggestion to offer
but simply summarise the benefits/adverse issues that had been so far
suggested. *I also said that even those who were open to banning, did
not think it was a serious error if we did not ban.

*Then at the end where I clearly marked, as you had suggested, I marked
my personal view (diffrentiating from the group summary) as ering on
the side of banning.  But I also made clear I did not also see it as a
serious problem if we did not ban.

The decision is really upto the group. For myself, I think its okay -
some sloppy programmers will have to re-program in the future, that's
all - some, like Tina, felt they would deserve it....

So go ahead drop it.

Sophia

Cary, thanks for the nput. yes in that even , we then grandfather the old
one, there are probly

On 08/03/07, Cary Karp <ck@nic.museum> wrote:

Quoting Sophia:

> my personal recommendation would be to err on the side of
> safety and suggest banning cc-- across the board.

This reduces to prohibiting two consecutive hyphens in a label, unless
they are in the second and third position (and that label would not be
rejected by any other restrictions on hyphens that already apply).

Before recommending the introduction of this constraint it might be
advisable to determine the number of currently registered names that it
would invalidate (and/or to assess the scope of the grandfathering effort
that would be required to retain them).

/Cary