ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rn-wg]

RE: [gnso-rn-wg] FW: Draft GAC principles

  • To: "Gomes,Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rn-wg] FW: Draft GAC principles
  • From: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 08:39:16 -0700

Strange. The document is already public.&nbsp;Regardless, how do&nbsp;we
include a discussion of the issues in the GAC document without quoting
or&nbsp;using the document? Do we just pretend that we pulled the issues
out&nbsp;of the air on our own?&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR><BR>Tim <BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 8px; MARGIN-LEFT: 8px; BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px
solid">-------- Original Message --------<BR>Subject: [gnso-rn-wg] FW: Draft
GAC principles<BR>From: "Gomes, Chuck" &lt;cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Date:
Tue, March 13, 2007 10:21 am<BR>To: "GNSO RN WG"
&lt;gnso-rn-wg@xxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR><BR>
Regarding use of the draft GAC document regarding new gTLDs, please
read<BR>the following messages from Denise Michel, ICANN's Vice
President,<BR>Policy Development. <BR><BR>
Please note that GAC rules forbid the public posting of any draft
GAC<BR>
document. &nbsp;Therefore, the draft GAC document regarding the
introduction<BR>
of new gTLDs must not be included in any of the RN-WG subgroup
reports<BR>
or in the full WG report. &nbsp;Please delete the draft GAC report if it
is<BR>included in your subgroup report. In cases where there is currently<BR>
reference to the draft GAC report, please reword any reference to
the<BR>
draft GAC report and instead do something like the following
as<BR>appropriate: "refer to concerns that have been expressed by
some<BR>governments."<BR><BR>
If you have any questions on this, please feel free to ask, but I
would<BR>
like to strongly suggest that we don't spend time on further debate
of<BR>
this issue. &nbsp;Whether you agree or disagree with the GAC's rule, if
we<BR>
expect to be able to work constructively with the GAC, I believe it
is<BR>
critical that we respect their rules. &nbsp;I recognize that several of
you<BR>
disagree with this, but I encourage you to deal with your concerns
in<BR>this regard in other forums rather than the RN-WG.<BR><BR>
I do want to clarify though that I personally do not believe that
this<BR>
should limit our discussion of issues that are included in the draft
GAC<BR>
report to the extent that those issues are relevant to our SoW
regarding<BR>
reserved names. &nbsp;Our report would not be complete if we left out
issues<BR>that we know exist.<BR><BR><BR>Chuck Gomes<BR><BR>
"This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity
to<BR>which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged,<BR>
confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.
Any<BR>
unauthorized use, distribution, or disclosure is strictly prohibited.
If<BR>you have received this message in error, please notify
sender<BR>immediately and destroy/delete the original transmission."
<BR><BR>-----Original Message-----<BR>From: Denise Michel
[mailto:denise.michel@xxxxxxxxx] <BR>Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 10:36
AM<BR>To: Gomes, Chuck; Timothy Denton<BR>Subject: Re: Draft GAC
principles<BR><BR>
I understand the use/posting of draft GAC principles may be an issue
for<BR>
the RN WG (or one of its subgroups). &nbsp;Feel free to share the
following<BR>
email I sent to the GAC Chair regarding this, or just provide WG
members<BR>with guidance on the appropriate treatment of GAC draft
text.<BR><BR>Thanks.<BR>Denise<BR><BR>Denise Michel<BR>Vice President, Policy
Development<BR>ICANN &nbsp;
www.icann.org<BR>denise.michel@xxxxxxxxx<BR>+32-2-234-7876
office<BR>+1-408-429-3072 mobile<BR>+32-2-234-7848 fax<BR><BR><BR>Denise Michel
wrote:<BR>
&gt; Suzanne Sene brought to my attention that the GAC's draft public
<BR>
&gt; policy principles for new TLDs were included in the annex of a
working<BR><BR>
&gt; draft of the GNSO's new TLD report, which was posted on one of the
<BR>&gt; GNSO's web pages used for working documents.<BR>&gt; <BR>
&gt; I apologize for this error. &nbsp;The GAC draft text, which had
been <BR>
&gt; included in "Annex Three" of the draft report, has been deleted
(see <BR>&gt;
&lt;http://gnso.icann.org/drafts/GNSO-PDP-Dec05-FR13-FEB07.htm&gt;).<BR>&gt;
<BR>
&gt; To ensure that draft GAC text is not publicly posted by ICANN
Policy <BR>
&gt; staff, I have informed staff of the GAC's rules regarding draft
text, <BR>
&gt; and I have instituted measures which will require the receipt of
<BR>
&gt; written authorization from the GAC Chair or relevant GAC liaison
prior<BR><BR>&gt; to the public posting of any draft GAC text.<BR>&gt; <BR>
&gt; Additionally, it may be useful to provide GNSO members with
<BR>
&gt; information on the GAC's operations to help ensure GNSO members
don't <BR>
&gt; make similar mistakes. &nbsp;I believe many GNSO members (as well
as <BR>
&gt; members of other Supporting Organizations and Advisory Committees)
<BR>
&gt; remain unaware of GAC's rules and procedures and thus do not have
the <BR>&gt; necessary guidance when given draft GAC text by a GAC
member.<BR>&gt; <BR>
&gt; Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance with
this.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Regards,<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Denise<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;
<BR>&gt; Denise Michel<BR>&gt; Vice President, Policy Development<BR>&gt; ICANN
&nbsp; www.icann.org<BR>&gt; denise.michel@xxxxxxxxx<BR>&gt; +32-2-234-7876
office<BR>&gt; +1-408-429-3072 mobile<BR>&gt; +32-2-234-7848 fax<BR>&gt;
<BR>&gt; </BLOCKQUOTE></DIV>