ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rn-wg]

RE: [gnso-rn-wg] reservation of nic, whois and www

  • To: "Timothy Denton" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Reserved Names Working Group ICANN" <gnso-rn-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rn-wg] reservation of nic, whois and www
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 18:51:54 -0400

Cary/Ram/Tina,

Please look at the IDN recommendations in the attached table and suggest
any improvements you have.  Thanks.

Tim,

It appears that you forgot to replace the role statement in Section 2
with the one that Mike Palage sent and that I think we all supported on
the call: "The rationale for the reservation of these names for use by
registry operators is based upon long standing and well established use
of these strings by registry operators (both gTLD and ccTLDs) in
connection with normal registry operations."

Regarding the recommendations in Section 3:

- As previously suggested, please insert the full recommendation in each
case instead of saying 'remain reserved' or 'same as above'.  This will
make it easier for Liz to cut paste recommendations into the new gTLD
report.  I think the table then would look like the one attached.

- Also, I don't believe the IDN recommendation expresses what Ram and
Cary suggested and it doesn't make sense to assume that "they would
remain reserved" because they have never been reserved in IDN.  See my
suggestions in the attached table.

Regarding the Consultation with Experts:

- You did not make any mention of the consultation with Ram and Cary
regarding IDNs.  That should be in this report to support the IDN
recommendations.  I suggest that you copy the first paragraph of Section
4 from the ICANN/IANA report and modify it for this report. I took a
crack at it here: "As regards the IDN implications of these three names,
both Cary Karp and Ram Mohan were consulted in a teleconference of March
1, 2007. The advice received was that these names were "integral
designators" to be used "without translation". In other words, there was
no need to reserve these strings in other languages. Ram Mohan suggested
"Find the equivalent and reserve them at that time" and added "Don't try
to translate them", referring to the acronyms and/or abbreviations."

Chuck Gomes